Bison Burgers with Pinot Noir Onions and Goat CheeseWine Pairings: Pinot Noir
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus additional for cooking burgers
- 2/3 cup pinot noir
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 small (4 oz) log of goat cheese
- 4 split hamburger buns
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and the thyme.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook with a pinch of salt until the onions are soft golden brown, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pluck out the thyme sprig and then increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the wine and cook until it's almost completely absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly mix together the bison, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 4 patties (I like to salt and pepper them on each side, again) and cook them however you like--grill, broil, pan fry, about 2 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Broil or toast the buns with the goat cheese on them. Serve the burgers on the toasted buns with the onions.
Serves 4 / Recipe from http://ellysaysopa.com