- 1/2 loaf rustic bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- kosher salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medallions (4 oz) of goat cheese
- 1/4 pound Prosciutto -- thinly sliced
- 2 cups black lentils (you can substitute with other varieties if you can’t find black lentils)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bag (1 pound) baby spinach
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- On a sheet tray lay out the slices of bread and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Turn each piece over and drizzle again so both sides have some oil on them. Toast in the hot oven for 1-2 minutes until slightly crispy but without color. Whilst still hot, gently rub each slice on one side with a garlic clove then set aside.
- Layer each slice of toast with 2-3 slices of goat cheese, a twisted piece of prosciutto and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Put tray of bruschetta back into the oven and heat for about 2 minutes -- until cheese is melted, prosciutto is crispy and bread is golden brown.
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan and cover with 2-3 times the amount of water. Add thyme sprigs and season with salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes until they are soft and tender. They should not be falling apart. Salt to taste then drain any remaining liquid. Set aside.
- Make the honey balsamic vinaigrette by combining the vinegar and honey while you drizzle the olive oil in and whisk the vinaigrette. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large saute pan heat a 2-count of olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic and red onion. Cook until tender and slightly translucent then add the honey balsamic vinaigrette to the onions. In a large mixing bowl add the lentils, washed spinach and the caramelized onions. Toss to coat and season with salt & pepper.
- To serve, lay the prosciutto & goat cheese toast on a plate and serve with warm honey-balsamic spinach salad.Enjoy with sides you’d pick for any other roasted pork dinner.
Recipe: Tyler Florence