Choripan (chorizo hot dog with chimichurri sauce)Wine Pairings: Malbec
- 1-2 pork or beef chorizo sausages per person for a main dish or 1 chorizo sausage for 2-3 people for an appetizer or snack while waiting for the main meal
- Baguette or hot dog buns
- Optional additional toppings: Guacamole, sliced tomatoes, salsa
Chimichurri salsa (2-3 tablespoons (or more to taste) per person):
- ½ bunch of parsley, about ½ cup finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup finely diced or minced green onions
- 1 small red chili pepper (red Fresno or red Korean), deveined, seeds removed and finely diced (can be replaced with 1-2 teaspoons of chili pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the chimichurri salsa:
- Combine all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge until ready to use.
For the choripan:
- Poke a few holes in the chorizo sausages and place on a hot grill until fully cooked (if not cooked) or until warm if fully cooked. You can cut the chorizo in half lengthwise or leave it whole, sometimes they are cut in half and added back to the grill for a few minutes before serving.
- Cut the baguette or French rolls lengthwise and place (inside down) on the grill to lightly toast.
- Place a tablespoon or more of chimichurri salsa on the baguette or hot dog bun, spread and then add the chorizo sausage. Top with additional chimichurri, tomato and onion curtido salsa, and guacamole.
- For bite size or smaller snacks, cut the chorizo and the bread into smaller pieces and serve with chimichurri and additional toppings.