Grilled Lamb Kabobs with Smokey Tomato SauceWine Pairings: Merlot
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 6 large firm-ripe tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers, cut in 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb boneless leg of lamb, cubed in 2" pieces
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- In a large glass dish, combine the olive oil, garlic and crushed pepper. Add the lamb and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Grill the tomatoes over a hot fire until charred all over. Let cool slightly, then peel, core and coarsely chop. Transfer to medium saucepan.
- Using a potato masher or large fork, crush the tomatoes until chunky. Season the sauce with salt.
- Thread the lamb onto six 12" metal skewers, alternating the meat and green peppers.
- Season the kabobs with salt and pepper and grill over a medium hot fire, turning once until the lamb is medium-rare, about 8 minutes.
- Reheat the tomato sauce and spoon it onto the plates. Set a kabob on each plate. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Serves 6 / Recipe from www.foodandwine.com