Seafood Cioppino StewWine Pairings: Pinot Grigio/Gris
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups canned chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1 pound firm white fish, cut into 1-inch pieces (suggested: cod, halibut, striped bass, red snapper)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 24 small clams in the shell, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook about 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, roasted peppers, thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Pour in wine and beef stock. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook partially covered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the clam juice and continue cooking uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in scallops, fish pieces and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and clams. Cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty bread.