Pastel de Choclo (Chilean Beef and Corn Casserole)Wine Pairings: Syrah
- 3-4 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup shredded roasted chicken
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Sauté the onions in the vegetable oil until soft and translucent, 5 minutes. Add the ground beef, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the beef is crumbled and browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the corn kernels in a food processor or blender with 1/4 cup milk. Process for 1 to 2 minutes, until corn is blended and appears creamy.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a pan, and add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and the corn mixture. Add the remaining 3/4 cup milk and simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the chopped basil and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain the liquid from the browned beef mixture. Place the ground beef mixture in the bottom of a 3-4 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle raisins, olives, and hardboiled eggs over the beef, then layer the chicken on top.
- Spread the corn mixture over the top of the casserole so that it covers the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the corn mixture is golden brown. Serve warm.
Serves 8-10 / Recipe from www.southamericanfood.about.com