Chicken Soup with Gnocchi, Basil and ParmesanWine Pairings: Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 small skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups (32 fl. oz./1 l) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz./455 g) oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 package (17 1/2 oz./545 g) potato gnocchi
- 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) chopped fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet, brush with 1 Tbs. of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken until opaque throughout, 18 to 20 minutes. Let the chicken cool to the touch, then shred into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 Tbs. oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and gnocchi and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the spinach and basil, and stir just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve, passing the Parmesan at the table.
Serves 4=6 / Recipe blog.williams-sonoma.com