Seared Salmon with Thai VegetablesWine Pairings: Pinot Noir
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 (6 to 7)ounce salmon fillets(with skin)
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water 2/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Thai Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thinly sliced
- 3 large green onions, thinly sliced on sharp diagonal
- 3 cups thinly sliced bok choy (from 1 bunch; green leaf tops only)
- Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture over each filet. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. For dressing: Whisk vinegar and next 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and sauté until rice begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup water and coconut milk and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Thai veggies Directions:
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 20 seconds. Add bell pepper and mushrooms; sauté until pepper is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add green onions and bok choy and sauté until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon fillets, flesh side down, to skillet. Sear until brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Turn fillets over and sear skin side until salmon is just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon rice onto plates, dividing equally. Top each serving with seared salmon filet, then Thai Vegetables. Drizzle dressing around and serve immediately, passing extra dressing separately.