Chicken with Curried Chickpeas and Wilted SpinachWine Pairings: Chardonnay
- 4 6oz. skinless chicken breasts, cut into medallions
- good chicken stock
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 8 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 TBSP Indian curry powder
- 12 oz. canned, precooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- Bring enough chicken stock to the boil to be able to poach the chicken medallions. Add the scallions and and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat until ready to poach the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and lightly fry the onion and carrot pieces, then mix in the curry powder and stir. Add the drained chick peas and stir to coat with the curry mixture.
- Pour in the 2 cups of chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. If needed, add more liquid to the curry.
- Bring the poaching stock back to simmer and add the chicken medallions. Poach for 3-5 minutes until cooked through.
- In a large saucepan or wok, bring 1/4 cup of the chicken poaching liquid to the boil over high heat. Mix in the spinach and stir to allow to wilt. Do not overcook or the color and nutritional value of the spinach will be lost.
- Serve by placing equal amounts of chick peas into the center of deep welled plates. Top with the spinach and chicken slices. Spoon over some of the chicken poaching liquid and serve immediately.