Crab Cakes with Horseradish CreamWine Pairings: Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise, and the horseradish.
- In a large bowl, combine the crabmeat, the remaining 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs, the scallions, parsley, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Shape the crab mixture into eight patties. Coat the patties with the remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs and pat off the excess.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Working in batches if necessary, fry the cakes until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Turn and fry until golden brown on the other side, about 2 minutes longer. Drain on paper towels. Serve with the horseradish cream.