- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef steak
- 1/4 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package store-bought pie crust or your favorite pie crust recipe
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the beef, chorizo, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly so that the ingredients are well blended.
Add additional cumin, if desired, and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside and let the filling cool.
- Roll out the pie crust dough and cut out rounds using a 3-inch cutter. Put 1 tablespoon of filling on half of the round. Fold the other half of the round over and using a fork, press down on the edge of the dough making sure it is sealed all the way around. This forms the empanada.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Brush the top of each empanada with the egg wash.
- Arrange the empanadas on a nonstick sheet pan and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the empanadas to a serving platter and serve.
Serves 4-6 / Recipe from www.foodnetwork.com