- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lb Beef Chuck Shoulder Roast, Cut into 1½ square-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 cup Onion, Pearl or cippolini
- 750 ml Cabernet Sauvignon Red wine
- 2 sprig fresh Thyme
- 1 whole Bay Leaf
- 5 oz Pork Belly
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 3 whole Carrots, peeled
- 1/4 cup Beef stock
- 4 sprig Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- On the stove top, heat 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil in a large cast iron casserole over medium high heat. Add the meat to the casserole and season with the salt and pepper. Brown the beef on all sides, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion to the beef and cook until the onion is translucent, another 3 minutes.
- Add the Cabernet Sauvignon, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a boil, scraping up an brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the casserole from the heat, cover it and transfer it to the oven. Cook the beef until it is fork tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before the beef finishes cooking: In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon over medium high heat. Add the pork belly, mushrooms and sautee for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, pearl onions, carrots and beef stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the broth evaporates, 10-15 minutes. Uncover, return to high heat and cook until the vegetables are browned, about 5 more minutes.
- Combine the vegetables with the beef stew and serve garnished with thyme and parsley.
Serves 4-6 / Recipe from www.primalpalate.com