Tirolese Canederli (Traditional Dumpling Soup)Wine Pairings: Pinot Grigio/Gris
- 7 oz rustic bread
- 7 oz milk
- 3 ½ oz speck (smoked raw ham)
- 3 oz Italian “00” flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ oz parsley
- ⅛ oz chives
- 2 lb broth
- nutmeg to taste
- salt to taste
- 4-6 cups Chicken or Beef stock
- Trim any dry brown crust from the bread. Cut the soft inner part into regular-sized cubes. Put the cubes in a bowl, add the speck, chives, parsley, nutmeg and beaten eggs.
- Add the milk and allow to soften. Gently mix to make the whole thing more compact. Add some flour to the mixture, to dry up any superfluous moisture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Work the dough and, using two spoons, make some “quenelle”, small balls the size of a walnut.
- Bring a good meat stock to the boil, toss in the “canederli” and let them cook for 15 minutes, making sure that the boiling is not too vigorous.
Recipe from www.academiabarilla.com