Tuscan Bean Soup with Asiago ToastsWine Pairings: Sangiovese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked turkey or chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 ¼ cups chopped fennel
- 1 ¼ cups chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- two 14 ½-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- one 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- one 19-ounce can cannellini beans, liquid reserved
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 12 slices (1/2-inch-thick) baguette, cut diagonally
In a 6-quart saucepan, heat the oil and saute the sausage over medium heat. Cook sausage until heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove sausage and drain drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan.
Add the fennel and onion to pan; sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, pepper and sage. Cook 10 minutes.
Add cannellini beans with reserved liquid and cooked sausage. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes more.
Heat broiler. Mound 2 teaspoons Asiago cheese on each bread slice and place on baking sheet. Broil until cheese and bread are lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide soup among 6 soup bowls; serve with toasts.
Serves 6 / Recipe from www.tuscanrecipes.com