Spicy Asian-Chicken-Salad Lettuce CupsWine Pairings: Riesling
Use a store-bought rotisserie bird in this reinvented chicken salad. The mayonnaise with chile sauce and toasted sesame oil add a spicy kick and the water chestnuts a bit of crunch. Spicy Asian dishes like this chicken salad tend to pair best with off-dry white wines. Riesling is a perfect option!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek or Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 2-pound rotisserie chickenskin and bones discarded, meat pulled into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 Bibb or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cut into 12 slices
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the sambal oelek, mustard and sesame oil. Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts and scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the chicken salad into the lettuce cups and top with a slice of avocado. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe from Melissa Rubel Jacobson, Food & Wine