Grilled Steak Sandwich with Herbed Tomato SauceWine Pairings: Italian Red
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 1/2-inch thick slices crusty artisan bread
- 1 1/2 pounds beef ribeye steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 3 cups assorted cherry tomatoes
- In a small bowl combine butter, oil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cracked black pepper. Very lightly brush cut sides of bread with some of the butter mixture. Set remaining butter mixture aside.
- Season both sides of steaks with additional salt and pepper. Grill steaks on the rack of a covered gas or charcoal grill directly over medium heat until desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 10 to 12 minutes for medium-rare doneness (145 degrees ).
- During the last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling steaks, add the bread to the grill alongside the meat. Grill the bread until toasted. Set aside. Remove steaks, tent with foil, and let stand about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining herb mixture. When butter begins to bubble, add tomatoes. Cook and stir about 4 to 6 minutes or until skins split.
- To assemble open-face sandwiches, place one piece of bread each on four plates. Arrange thinly sliced steak over bread; top with tomatoes.
Makes 4 servings / Recipe from www.midwestliving.com