Cazuela de Vaca (Beef and Pumpkin Stew)Wine Pairings: Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 ½ pounds beef roast
- 1 (32 ounce) carton beef broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup polenta (coarse or fine)
- 8 red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 ½ pounds slice of pumpkin (calabaza)
- 2 ears corn, cut into thirds
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 1 leek, split in half, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon mild paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves (lightly packed)
Cut the piece of beef into 6 large chunks (one per serving). Place the beef into a large saucepan; pour in the beef broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until nearly tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Stir the polenta into the stew along with the potatoes and onion. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Cut the pumpkin into 6, serving-sized pieces, and add to the stew along with the corn, carrot, bell pepper, celery, and leek; simmer until the vegetables are tender, adding more water if needed to barely cover. Stir in the oregano and paprika during the last 5 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Serves 6 | Recipe from www.allrecipes.com